Nose surgery (“rhinoplasty”) is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the country today. It reshapes, reduces, or enlarges the nose so facial features appear more balanced. Nose surgery can also correct birth defects or injuries to the nose.
Despite its popularity, many patients have questions about this procedure. Let’s answer those questions.
Top 5 Questions about Nose Surgery
- What can nose surgery accomplish? Rhinoplasty can restore your appearance and self-confidence. It offers many cosmetic and reconstructive benefits, including balancing the size of your nose with your other facial features, modifying the width of the nose at the bridge, correcting any nasal asymmetry or injuries such as a deviated septum, which can negatively impact breathing.
- Am I a good candidate for nose surgery? Ideal candidates for rhinoplasty are patients who are at least 13 years old, although most surgeons will recommend that patients be a little bit older. Candidates should also be generally healthy, non-smokers, and have realistic expectations about what the procedure can do for them. The procedure should also be sought by patients for their own personal reasons, not due to any pressure from others.
- What will nose surgery involve? Rhinoplasty is generally performed as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia, lasting for about two hours. Surgeons use one or two techniques during this surgery- in a closed rhinoplasty, incisions will be made within the nostrils. Open rhinoplasty involves making incisions being made between the tissues of the nostrils. For patients with deviated septums, the surgeon will adjust the septum and inner structures of the nose to improve breathing patterns.
- How long will it take to recover from this procedure? The recovery process from nose surgery often varies by patient. Some common side-effects associated with surgery include puffiness, swelling, bruising, or headaches following surgery. Most patients will feel better two days after surgery, though most will need about a week to recover from surgery.
- What will the results of nose surgery look like? The results of rhinoplasty will become more visible with time, especially as swelling goes down. Patients are usually highly-satisfied with their results, and look and feel more confident after rhinoplasty.
Rhinoplasty in Baton Rouge
If you would like to learn more about rhinoplasty or any treatment that Dr. J. Anthony Stephens offers, please contact his Baton Rouge, LA office at 225.767.7575 or reach us via our online form. We look forward to hearing from you.