The way your brow appears encompasses all of your emotions. Your brow is expressive and portrays a wide variety of feelings and thoughts. Your brow is also one of the most prominent aspects of your face. As you begin to age, your brow will naturally start to descend. Unfortunately, this new position is often considered undesirable. This is because it can reveal a lot of undesirable characteristics such as sadness, fatigue, boredom, anger, and suspicion. One of the main issues is these characteristics are often not an accurate representation of what the individual is feeling or thinking. Numerous individuals have chosen to change their look through a brow lift. This is also referred to as a forehead lift or forehead rejuvenation.
This result of this lift is a reduction in both fine lines and wrinkles, a restoration of sagging eyebrows to the original and younger-looking position and a dramatic change in the overall appearance of the face. This is classified as a cosmetic procedure with the purpose of raising the brows to improve the look of the forehead, the area surrounding the eyes and brows. This is accomplished by raising the skin and soft tissue located on the brow and the forehead. There are a wide variety of reasons people choose to have a brow lift. This includes an asymmetry of the brows, sagging brows and low brows. In some cases, the brow surgery is performed alone. In many instances, the individual chooses to have another facial procedure performed at the same time.
This type of procedure may include a face-lift or blepharoplasty. This is more commonly referred to as eyelid surgery. As the brows naturally descend due to the aging process, the soft tissues and skin start to lose elasticity and the distance between the eyelashes and the eyebrows gradually becomes a lot shorter. Once the eyebrows are in a lower position, the result is often a sad, angry or tired appearance. The lift raises the brows to provide a more aesthetically pleasing and refreshed appearance to the face. In many instances, a sagging, drooping or low brow is one of the key contributors to sagging eyelids. This is often the reason the person decides to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon. During this initial visit, the surgeon will most likely ask a lot of questions.
The plastic surgeon will review the medical history of the individual. This includes questions regarding any medical conditions from the past and the present. It is important to tell the surgeon about any medications that have been recently used or are currently being taken. Any surgeries or allergic reactions to any medications must also be discussed with the surgeon. In order to decide the best possible options for treatment, a physical exam is necessary. Different areas of the face will be measured with the eyes of the individual both closed and open. In some instances, photographs are taken by the surgeon for the medical record of the individual. It is critical to talk about your expectations and to keep them realistic.
The plastic surgeon will ask the reason you decided to have your brows lifted and what changes you expect to see in your appearance after the surgery. It is important you understand the procedure completely. This is the time to ask any questions you have. There are certain steps you will probably need to take prior to having your procedure. This may include:
• You should stop smoking before your procedure. This is because your blood flow is decreased by smoking. This can slow down the process of healing. The general recommendation is to discontinue smoking for a minimum of three weeks prior to your surgery and throughout your recovery period.
• You will need to stop taking specific medications. This includes herbal supplements, anti-inflammatory medications and aspirin. All of these can increase your risk of bleeding.
• It is a good idea to have some help while you are recovering. You should arrange for transportation home after you have had your surgery in advance. You should ask a relative or friend to stay for a minimum of one night after your procedure.
There are a lot of beauty products and cosmetics currently available to make you look more youthful and benefit your skin. It is important to note the ability of these products to make you appear more rested and rejuvenated is limited. This is one of the key reasons this procedure has become so popular. The result is a tightening of your skin, the removal of numerous years from your face, providing your eyes with a larger appearance and helping to decrease fine lines and wrinkles. There are several different kinds of lifts each individual should consider. Each type places the incision in a different area and provides a different look. The technique used depends on the desire of the individual, the look they want to achieve and the specifics of their hairline.
The procedure is performed in either a surgical facility or a hospital. A general anesthetic is used to ensure you are unconscious throughout the entire surgery. This prevents you from feeling any pain during the procedure. Your desired results are based on the specific technique chosen by the plastic surgeon, the areas the incisions are placed and the skill and experience of the surgeon. The majority of individuals who have experienced a brow lift have been satisfied with their results.
The Benefits of a Brow Lift
A brow lift can correct deep furrows between the eyes and on the lower portion of the forehead, drooping brows, horizontal crease lines, baggy or heavy upper eyelids and balance out the eyebrows. In most cases, the skin is either smoothed out or re-positioned. Each individual is different and the type of technique used varies. Sometimes the lift is used in conjunction with a facelift to provide even more substantial results. Many individuals experience a greater level of self-esteem and confidence after the procedure due to the appeal of a more youthful appearance. The lift lasts for a long period of time. The additional benefits include:
• Reversing the look of an angry and tired appearance. A sagging brow line, deep creases on the forehead and lines in between the eyebrows often result in an angry or tired appearance. An individual with a perpetually angry look is often considered to be less approachable by a lot of people despite feeling happy and calm on the inside. Once the creases have been smoothed away and the brow has been raised, the person will appear much friendlier, more relaxed and a lot happier.
• Opening the eyes. In many instances, a sagging brow will change the way the upper eyelids appear. This can result in a tired appearance and make it much harder to use cosmetics. Once the brow has been raised, the eye area opens up, the individual appears more youthful and alert and it becomes easier to use cosmetics.
• Smoothing away creases. When the brow has been lifted and excess tissue and skin have been removed, the signs of aging located on the upper facial region are smoothed away. This includes frown lines or the vertical lines on the forehead and horizontal lines. This results in more youthful and smoother skin.
• The results last for a long time and are dramatic in appearance. There are injectibles such as Botox and fillers capable of decreasing the look of creases in the forehead and providing a look similar to raising the brows. It is important to understand the results these kinds of treatments can provide are both limited and temporary. This is the reason they are only generally effective for individuals with signs of either mild or moderate aging in the top portion of the face. The treatments must also be repeated regularly for the results to be maintained.
• This lift is customized to the unique needs of every individual. The surgery is tailored to provide each individual with beautiful and natural results. Whether the individual chooses a full lift, a mini lift or an endoscopic lift, the results will enable the person to achieve their specific aesthetic goals.
• A lift is an excellent option for correcting creases and drooping and sagging in the forehead for the long-term. The removal of the excess tissue and skin combined with the adjustments made to the underlying structure provide a youthful, dramatics and natural appearance.
Cosmetic surgeries to improve the aesthetics of the face have been performed for almost 100 years. Once the need for this type of procedure was determined, new techniques and technologies made the process safer and more effective than in the past. During the last ten years, surgical brow procedures have been revolutionized due to new surgical options such as the endoscope. This has resulted in new and exciting opportunities and alternatives for any individual looking for an aesthetic correction for their face or brow. If you are interested in receiving a brow lift, feel free to reach out to the educated staff at the office of J. Anthony Stephens, MD to learn more. We would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Our office is conveniently located in Baton Rouge, LA. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!